Re: [Duplicity-talk] Avoiding full backups

From: Ben Eastep
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Avoiding full backups
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:25:46 -0700

Ian Barton wrote:

I would suggest doing the duplicity backup to a local usb drive and then rsyncing the contents upstream. I have a DSL link with 384k upstream and I use this method.
Forgive me, I'm probably missing the obvious here, however, it seems to me that, if I do what you describe, one of two things goes wrong

1)If I do a full backup (to the usb drive) occasionally:
In this case, every time I do a full backup, a whole bunch of new files are created, which are nothing like my old files, due to encryption. So effectively, rsync ends up copying all 13 gigs of files to the backup server, with little or no acceleration.

2)If I don't do a full backup occasionally:
In this case, I can never remove any old files from the backup set, so it just gradually grows out of control...slowly getting larger and larger...

Ben Eastep