Re: [Duplicity-talk] FTP timeout

From: Jesper Lund
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] FTP timeout
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 16:35:16 +0100

Thomas Braad Toft wrote:

--- Output ---
Running 'ncftp -u magicxbackup ftp.servage.net' (attempt #5)
State = authorizing, Before = 'NcFTP 3.2.2 (Sep 04, 2008) by Mike Gleason (http://www.NcFTP.com/contact/).
Resolving ftp.servage.net...         Connecting to 77.232.67.29...

Servage is cheap if you need lots of space (and who doesn't), but their FTP servers are known for timeout problems. I use Servage myself, but I have switched to a different strategy in order to ftp my duplicity backup to their servers. I make the duplicity backup to my harddisk (well, a share on my home server, actually), and use the lftp program to sync the backup share with my Servage FTP account (this is done by a cron job in my case)
http://www.linux.com/feature/122169

It's basically the same idea that Ian is describing here
http://www.ian-barton.com/Linux/Duplicity#toc11
except that I use the "reverse mirror" functionality in lftp because Servage does not support rsync.

If the Servage FTP server times out (and it will..), lftp is much better at recovering from this than ncftp/duplicity because you don't need to start all over again. lftp will just pick up where it (well, Servage) stalled.

Jesper