[Duplicity-talk] backup design question

From: Brian Mathias
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] backup design question
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:25:26 -0500

Hi All,

I'm new here, so please accept my apology if this is not the appropriate place for this question.

Some background: I am attempting to setup an off-site backup solution with a few friends.  I'm planning to backup data from my network workstations to a server that will ultimately handle the slow and lengthy off-site backup.  The server will also have the role of accepting other people's backups.  I'm looking at using FTP since the data will already be encrypted and it would have less overhead than SCP.

Originally I was looking at using rsync to keep data synced to my server, and then use duplicity to encrypt and send the data off-site.  My question is, would there be any downside to using duplicity from workstations to the server, and them just using rsync to replicate the encrypted data off-site?  Since this server is accessible from the Internet, I'd rather my data not be sitting there unencrypted before it's sent out.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate your time and attention.

Thanks,

Brian Mathias
www.digitalmustache.com