Re: [Duplicity-talk] erroneous incrementals? verify failing? everything

From: Josh
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] erroneous incrementals? verify failing? everything else seems okay?
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:21:31 -0500

Well those .JPG's are in fact still there on the file system...

However I'm curious if the system is getting confused somehow since the path isn't including the "/" at the beginning? any ideas?

-------------
This communication (with attachments) is covered by the U.S.C. Sec. 2510-252, is confidential, and intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, notify us immediately, return the document(s), and destroy all copies of the original message.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Peter Schuller <address@hidden> wrote:
> Something I noticed kinda odd though is if I run the backup again, it does
> an incremental, but the file size is only 1k... and I know 100% without a
> doubt absolutely nothing has actually changed... (its purely folders with
> photos in them, thats all thats being backed up) So why is it doing an
> incremental at all? I'd like to do backups nightly but if nothing has
> changed I don't see the point of generating un-needed files and bandwidth...
> (i know its next to nothing, but still...)

Zero changes is not special cased. It will still produce an
incremental, which can indeed be useful (for one thing you then know
that you have a backup as of that point in time, rather than not being
able to distinguish "no backup was taken in 5 years" from "nothing
changes in 5 years").

> Also, something that is concerning is if I do a 'duplicity verify -v4'  I
> get the following;
>
> Last full backup date: Mon Mar 23 13:27:46 2009
> Difference found: File . has permissions 755, expected 755
> Difference found: New file 2005
> Difference found: New file 2005/08-11-05_1137.jpg
> Difference found: New file 2005/08-12-05_1217.jpg
> Difference found: New file 2005/08-12-05_1218.jpg
> Difference found: New file 2005/08-31-05_1923.jpg
> Difference found: New file 2005/10-22-05_1022.jpg
> Difference found: File var/www/web2/g2data/albums/2005/DSC00711.JPG is
> missing
> Difference found: File var/www/web2/g2data/albums/2005/DSC00803.JPG is
> missing
> Difference found: File var/www/web2/g2data/albums/2005/DSC01588.JPG is
> missing
>
> The list it outputs is HUGE, and I know by comparing it to the
> 'list-current-files' output that something is wrong here... Can someone
> explain to me why this is?

To be clear, the verify will compare against what's actually on the
file system. If those JPG:s in the paste below have in fact been
removed from the file system since the backup, the above would be the
expected output.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'