Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why do I have a 19GB ~/.cache/duplicity folder?

From: Tim Riemenschneider
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why do I have a 19GB ~/.cache/duplicity folder?
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 12:20:31 +0100

Kenneth Loafman schrieb:
> The OP never did file a bug report and its not been "fixed".

The OP didn't, but I did ;-)
The bugid is https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/519948
> The large size is in the nature of the beast that is incremental backup.
>  We try to keep backup sizes small, so we use small chunks for signature
> comparison.  This produces more signatures on large files, and a minimal
> backup.  Larger chunks would produce smaller signatures and a smaller
> backup, so the only "fix" is to allow the user to select signature size
> thresholds on their own.
>
> I've not had much time to chase this, but the code that determines the
> chunk size is simple, so it may not take much to make the change.

As I said in my earlier post, that could be a problem of signatures of
old backups still lying around (at least that was the case with one of
my backups. After manually deleting older signatures (those, where no
difftars where around anymore) on the backend, the size of my
.cache-directory was reduced from 3 GB to 1 GB.
> Plus, my suspicion is that these large metadata stores are a direct
> result of long strings of incremental backups with no full backup at
> regular intervals.  Since this is bad practice in general, I've not
> really been inclined to fix duplicity to encourage it.

When that is the case (with the OP), then you are right, that should not
be encouraged. But if it's old, unused signatures lying around, then the
size gets even bigger if you do full-backups more often!
(Ok, in the meantime I found the --extra-cleanup option, which deposed
of all the old signatures. But that is not the default)

cu
Tim

--
detco GbR
Tim Riemenschneider - Entwickler

Geschäftsführer: Sebastian Constantin, Jens Frischen
Phone:  0421 / 22 37 99 00
Fax:    0421 / 22 37 99 01
Mobil:  0179 / 21 27 285
Mail:   address@hidden

Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten
haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und löschen Sie diese Mail.
Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail und der
darin enthaltenen Informationen sind nicht gestattet.

notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying,
disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.