Re: [Duplicity-talk] Checking integrity upstream

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Checking integrity upstream
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:24:13 +0100

On 13.11.2011 22:56, Chris Poole wrote:
On 13 Nov 2011, at 18:51, Lluís Batlle i Rossell<address@hidden>  wrote:
I'd like to verify that the whole files there are in good state, without
transferring all them back to my computer.

You could use the --sign-key option for Duplicity to sign with a given private
key, and then on the remote machine run something like `gpg --verify` on each
.gpg file produced by Duplicity.

Of course, this will confirm the integrity of the container files, but says
nothing about the integrity of the individual files within. This probably isn't
an issue though.

well, it says that the backup volumes itself are flawless. if the files backed
up were corrupt, no backup can tell that (except of file system errors if they
occur of course).

alternatively you could simply use duplicity locally on the remote and do a
verify run (give an empty dummy folder as source location, use
--allow-source-mismatch if needed), which will verify the content files against
hashes saved during backup time. but having the keys or passphrases on the
backend partly defies duplicity's purpose of course ;).

..ede/duply.net