Re: [Duplicity-talk] The new duplicity frontend

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] The new duplicity frontend
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:26:41 +0100

On 26.11.2011 13:27, Dmitry Chernyak wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Let me propose to your attention the new frontend
> for duplicity - scduply (SkyCover Duply).

thanks Dmitry, although i'd call it a fork rather than a _new_ frontend ;)

> Its main goals are: the fast configuration of new backup jobs
> and the easy visually analyzable backup reports.
>
> It bases on the source code of duply but advanced to be more friendly:
>
> * User friendly configuration syntax with named variables.
> * Additional global configuration file.
> * Automatic addition of the job’s name to the globally configured TARGET_URL.
> * Infrastructure to save per-job logs and reports.
> * The command for batch execution of all defined jobs.
> * Reporting via e-mail with HTML report and raw logs attached.
>
> scduply is not backward compatible with duply.
>
> scduply is developed for the SkyCover Company's internal needs, so it will be
> always the separate project, to be able implement any desired new features.

i see you added your copyright at the top. as most of the code is still based
on duply i'd prefer you to mention me and christiane close to there. this way
it couldn't happen like in your readme file
https://github.com/skycover/scduply
that these contributions go awol.

> Nevertheless, we will be glad to submit any parts of our code to the duply.

thanks again. html-reports might be an option, but there has to be significant
user demand before i'd take that over.

you might want to consider though to port sone of the bugfixes from the current
duply as your version is based on a one year old version.

btw. any reason why you do not use fetch command but instead a restore
--file-to-restore combination on
http://en.skycover.ru/opensource/scduply/scduply-usage/
?

..ede/duply.net