Re: [Duplicity-talk] --archive-dir is growing in size, how can I reduce

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] --archive-dir is growing in size, how can I reduce it?
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 10:50:51 +0100

On 08.12.2011 18:24, Alex Cartwright wrote:
> Thanks for the information, though a few questions to follow up from this:
>
> 1) If I remove this directory, on the next run it will be created to a
> similar size straight away?

it could be that there are less manifest/sigs in your repository because
cleaning sometimes fails to also delete properly in the local cache, but yeah.
try it yourself rename/move the old archive to somewhere else and start
duplicity and observe.

> 2) "deleting the old archive-dir and backing up into a new folder" How
> do you mean by this? I backing up Amazon S3, are you suggesting I
> should backup to a different bucket or directory within this as a fix?

exactly. important is that the new "location" has not already lot's of metadata
which would be downloaded as the first step.

> 3) What sort of data is duplicity storing? It's soon going to get to a
> stage that I simply can not use duplicity for backups as it's taking
> up so much space for ... well, backups.

afaik i deleted marker for deleted files and file times, permissions, users
when changed

do you ever delete backups at some point?

could you again describe the size of your backup, backup interval and full vs.
incr strategy?

ede/duply.net