Re: [Duplicity-talk] "zlib inflate problem: invalid distance code" error

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] "zlib inflate problem: invalid distance code" error for any operation
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:40:53 +0100

On 19.01.2012 10:10, Tim Edwards wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running duplicitly to create encrypted backups of important stuff in
> my home directory. I recently switched distributions from Opensuse 12.1
> to Ubuntu 11.10. Right before I re-installed I did a backup (so still on
> Opensuse) and once I'd re-installed with Ubuntu I tried to do another
> backup.
>
> The problem is that now on Ubuntu matter what I do, whether it's a
> backup, a restore or a simple list-current-files I get this error
> message:
> duplicity list-current-files file:///media/BACKUPHD/backups/duplicity/
> Synchronising remote metadata to local cache...
> GnuPG passphrase:
> Copying duplicity-full-signatures.20111206T000007Z.sigtar.gpg to local
> cache.
> GPGError: GPG Failed, see log below:
> ===== Begin GnuPG log =====
> gpg: CAST5 encrypted data
> gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
> gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid distance code
> ===== End GnuPG log =====
>
> The backups are kept on a USB hard drive which was unplugged during the
> re-installation and re-config, so weren't affected at all. I also have a
> USB stick which has a slightly older version of the same backup set and
> it gets the same error on Ubuntu.
>
> Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is there some bizzare gpg
> config option I need to set?

http://www.google.de/search?q=gpg+zlib+inflate+problem%3A+invalid+distance+code
results hint that the encrypted files are corrupted

try to recreate a virtual machine with your exact Opensuse distro and to
restore there. maybe you are lucky and it is only a gpg/zlib bug between
different versions.

..ede/duply.net