Re: [Duplicity-talk] "zlib inflate problem: invalid distance code" error

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] "zlib inflate problem: invalid distance code" error for any operation
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 13:40:32 +0100

On 19.01.2012 12:39, Tim Edwards wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 10:40 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>> http://www.google.de/search?q=gpg+zlib+inflate+problem%3A+invalid+distance+code
>> results hint that the encrypted files are corrupted
>>
>> try to recreate a virtual machine with your exact Opensuse distro and to
>> restore there. maybe you are lucky and it is only a gpg/zlib bug between
>> different versions.
>>
>> ..ede/duply.net
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes I Google searched it before posting here. The thing is that the
> backups worked perfectly on Opensuse just before re-installation and
> neither of the two devices (the USB hard drive and USB stick) were
> written to or even plugged in until after the installation was complete
> and I tried to do a backup on Ubuntu. So for it to be data corruption
> something would've had to have happened to both physically separate USB
> devices while they weren't even plugged in.

if both media sport the same error the volume was either corrupted before
copied onto both
or
both have defect sectors (highly unlikely)
or
it's indeed an issue of opensuse gpg vs. ubuntu gpg

> I'll try your suggestion of using an Opensuse installation to read the
> files, although I see that both Ubuntu 11.10 and Opensuse 12.1 have the
> same version - duplicity 0.6.15.

the issue is with gpg binary (see your error) so duplicity version changes wont
help you here.

..ede/duply.net