[Duplicity-talk] a script to find sizes of files in an incremental backu

From: Dan Drake
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] a script to find sizes of files in an incremental backup
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 11:46:40 +0900

Hello,

I run daily backups with duplicity and cron mails me the results.
Sometimes the incremental backup seems unusually large, and I wonder
what made it so big.

For example, a while ago, Firefox decided to create a "Cache.Trash"
directory, and my exclude filelist let it through -- so now I have 600+
megabytes of useless crap in my backups. It took some digging to find
out what duplicity had done.

I wanted an easy way to find out the sizes of the files that got stored
in an incremental backup, so I wrote a script that goes through a
difftar or sigtar file and prints out the sizes. You can find it at
https://gist.github.com/2001367.

I hope someone finds it useful!

Dan

--