Re: [Duplicity-talk] Do I need to upgrade from v0.6.01 to latest version

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Do I need to upgrade from v0.6.01 to latest version?
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 16:44:32 +0100

On 06.11.2012 16:13, howard chen wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Michael Terry <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     I would upgrade to at least 0.6.14 to avoid data loss issues.  But while
> you're at it, you might as well go the whole way.
>

> So do you mean version before 0.6.14 has issue with data loss and should not
> be used anymore?
> Actually I really hope that is a version string in the homepage telling
> people the min. version of duplicity withou critical bug discovered to
> prevent you from doing a flawless backup, so people can easily know the
> version is having a problem and consider if they really need to upgrade..
>
> It is okay to have bug in software, just a easy way to keep people alerted...

i see your point. please check the changelog about tackled bugs/issues. that
what it's there for. afair there was a bigger issue before 0.6.14.

eventually: data safety should be your personal concern first and foremost.
hence, do you verify your backups periodically to make sure there are still
intact? even if there's a bug, the duplicity verify routine will most probably
tell you that your backup got corrupted.

..ede