Re: [Duplicity-talk] is a duplicity folder rsync-friendly?

From: Martin Erik Werner
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] is a duplicity folder rsync-friendly?
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 16:28:47 +0200

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 04:05:09PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> On 12.08.2013 15:53, Martin Erik Werner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having problems using duplicity with a cifs mount, when I try to
> > make a backup to cifs it crashes with "CIFS VFS: No writable handles for
> > inode", I'm seeing similar issues when I try to "git push --mirror" onto
> > the mount as well.
> >
> > However, straight up copying seems to work ok, hence I'm wondering if it
> > is feasible to create the duplicity archive locally and then rsync it
> > over to the cifs mount. Provided I don't make any full backups, is the
> > duplicity on-disk structure in itself incremental? Such that this method
> > would work and be as space-efficient as running duplicity directly to
> > the dir?
> >
> >   $ cp -r /mnt/cifs/duplicity ~/duplicity
> >   $ duplicity ~/important/ file://duplicity
> >   $ rsync -a duplicity/ file:///mnt/cifs/duplicity
> >

> that'll work. why shouldn't it? duplicity simply creates new files in the
> backup repository on each incremental. simply have a look at the folder. it
> has files neatly numbered with timestamps.
>
> but maybe you rather solve the problem, maybe it is this
> http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1210.2/03971.html ?
> you could try switching kernel or userland binaries, depending on what way to
> mount cifs you use.
>

> ..ede/duply.net

Ok, good, at least that would work then.

Hmm I'm running on
3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.41-2 x86_64 GNU/Linux
with cifs-utils 2:5.5-1 (5.5)
and duplicity 0.6.18

So I'm guessing that a regression in Linux 3.7-rc2 might not apply? Even
though it's very similar to what I'm seeing...

--
Martin Erik Werner <address@hidden>