[Duplicity-talk] Excluding subdirectories

From: mmpea
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Excluding subdirectories
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 21:56:48 -0400 (EDT)

I'm trying to back up the files in my home directory along with some, but
not all, of the subdirectories. My home directory is something like this:

/home/james/Documents/
/home/james/notes/
/home/james/.gnupg/
/home/james/.matplotlib/
/home/james/file1
/home/james/file2

The best I've come up with is the following command:

duplicity \
--include /home/james/notes \
--exclude '/home/james/*/**/' \
--include /home/james --exclude '**' / <url>

or equivalently:

duplicity --include-globbing-filelist ./list / <url>

where list is:

+ /home/james/notes
- /home/james/*/**
+ /home/james/
- **

In either case I get all of the files in /home/james and all of
/home/james/notes as I want, but I also get empty directories for
Documents, .gnupg, etc. I feel like I understand the include/exclude
system fairly well, but I can't figure out a way to exclude directories
since I have no way of distinguishing them from regular files. Am I missing
something?

- James

Send and receive anonymous emails to your inbox with InboxAlias.
http://www.inboxalias.com