[Duplicity-talk] Incremental backup of files with changed data but uncha

From: Nate Eldredge
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Incremental backup of files with changed data but unchanged timestamp
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 18:03:00 -0600 (MDT)

I am using duplicity to make incremental backups of my system. I have some files whose data has changed since the last backup, but whose mtime stayed the same. It looks like `duplicity incremental' ignores files whose timestamp has not changed, so it doesn't back up the new data. Is there a way to force duplicity to compare the file with a stored checksum, or even to use rdiff unconditionally? I'd prefer not to have to do a new full backup.

I'd consider hacking duplicity myself but it would be helpful to know where in the code I should look.

(Before you accuse me of abusing timestamps: it isn't my fault! I crossgraded this Ubuntu system from 32-bit to 64-bit. It appears that some Ubuntu packages have the same timestamps on corresponding files in the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Presumably the packages were generated at the same time, and coincidentally those files were compiled during the same second. So when I replaced the 32-bit package with the 64-bit package, I get a different file with the same timestamp.)

I'm using duplicity 0.6.23 (latest from the PPA) on Ubuntu 14.04.

Thanks!

--
Nate Eldredge
address@hidden