[Duplicity-talk] Stable release recommendation for Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty /

From: Rob Dupuis
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Stable release recommendation for Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty / Multiple Swift backups
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 19:10:35 +0100

Hi

I would like to use duplicity to provide rsync-style backup of 20GB data from 3 directories (about 50k files). I am backing up to an OpenStack Swift compatible server. I think duplicity might be exactly what I need, and I just wanted to confirm what version I should use.

The downloads page recommends 0.6.25, but the stable ppa[1] has 0.7.02-0ubuntu0ppa1080~ubuntu14.04.1.

I've been trying 0.7.02 and it seems to work OK, but wanted to check, is it stable enough for production use?

The other question I have is can duplicity make multiple backups to the same openswift container? I tried creating a directory in my openswift container and using that in the swift url when I backup (swift://container/directory), but I see the following error:

Attempt 1 failed. JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)

Alternatively, is there a way to name to backup tar.gpgs that duplicity creates so that multiple backups don't collide? I tried the --name option, but this is only for the client name.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

[1] https://launchpad.net/~duplicity-team/+archive/ubuntu/ppa