Re: [Duplicity-talk] gpg 1 or 2?

From: Scott Hannahs
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] gpg 1 or 2?
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 12:08:43 -0700

Edgar

Thanks that explains the situation.  I am a bit unsure how to resolve it, but
the issues are clear.  I think my best approach is just to only allow pgp 1.4.X
binaries as a dependency.

The OS X Fink package manager allows installation of both gpg v1 and gpg v2.
(or gnupg v1 and v2) simultaneously.  It installs all the packages in a
separate directory structure to isolate from OS changes (i.e. not /usr/local
but rather /sw).  The paths are modified to give this directory tree precedence
over the defaults.  I think this is standard for many *nix installations as
well so it should be an issue on other platforms.  Adding extra links in the
/sw/bin directory can interfere with the installation of other packages and is
frowned upon.  Also linking to other parts of the OS is considered fragile and
not interfering with the OS is encouraged.

Thus the Path will point to the correct bin directory.  BUT to allow both gpgv1
and gpgv2 in the same bin directory they have different file names for the
binaries.  For obvious historical reasons gpg is version 1 of the software
package and gpg2 is the version 2.x.x version.  If I can’t allow a setup
parameter to point the correct binary path, then to use version 2 I can patch
the code to change that string in gpginterface.py the package manager has a
patching function, it is just more maintenance from version to version.

My next project is to get duply in the package manager as well….

-Scott