Re: [Duplicity-talk] cannot restore encrypted backup

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] cannot restore encrypted backup
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:21:01 +0200

On 29.07.2015 11:05, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know it might be a GnuPG issue but I sincerely hope that someone on this
> list might have a solution for me. :)
>
> So I am trying to restore an ecrypted backup and receives the following error:
>
> GPGError: GPG Failed, see log below:
> ===== Begin GnuPG log =====
> gpg: encrypted with 4096-bit RSA key, ID xxxxx, created 2011-02-24
> "xxxx <address@hidden>"
> gpg: public key decryption failed: Invalid IPC response
> gpg: decryption failed: No secret key
> ===== End GnuPG log =====
>
> The key is in the user's keyring, at least the gpg --list-secret-keys shows
> the ID. The password seems to be right beacuse I am using this key to encrypt
> my weekly backups. Does anyone have any suggestion on this? I am not really
> familiar with GnuPG.

ok,

first try manually en/decrypting something on the command line against that
key. see
 http://www.dewinter.com/gnupg_howto/english/GPGMiniHowto-4.html#ss4.1

also,
1. what is your gpg version?
2. please send me the output of 'gpg --list-secret-keys' privately and mention
the keyid you effectively used to back up.

..ede/duply.net