Re: [Duplicity-talk] File restore extremely slow

From: Nate Eldredge
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] File restore extremely slow
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 15:44:54 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015, Kevin Carr wrote:

When you restore, duplicity first has to download the signature files.  It
then locates the gzip that contains the file you want which is usually
around 25mb and downloads it.

Does the signature file actually record which volume(s) each file is contained in? I didn't think it did. (And I just extracted a sigtar file and didn't see anywhere this information could be. There appears to be one rdiff signature per regular file, and no further data.)

The signature files will tell you which of the incrementals contain your file, so that any incrementals for which the file didn't change don't have to be downloaded. But you have to download everything else. For instance, if your file existed when the full backup was made, you'll have to fetch all volumes of the full backup, together with all volumes of each incremental in which the file changed, up to the desired restore date.

(Note that "download" is a little of a misnomer in the OP's case; the backup URL is file:, so the backup data is stored locally and won't take much time to transfer. The bottleneck is either reading the backups from disk, or (more likely) decrypting them.)

I have had the process take an hour if I didn't have the signature files
synced properly.