[Duplicity-talk] Support for AWS S3 "Infrequent Access" Storage Option

From: John
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Support for AWS S3 "Infrequent Access" Storage Option
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 04:34:39 -0400

Hi Duplicity folks,

Amazon recently announced a new S3 storage class, Infrequent Access: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/aws-storage-update-new-lower-cost-s3-storage-option-glacier-price-reduction/ . Its storage price is lower than Reduced Redundancy but has a higher per-access price tag.

I have enjoyed duplicity's support on storing volumes to S3 directly on Reduced Redundancy class ( --s3-use-rrs option). And for my own use cases, I believe IA is a more cost-effective option for me, so I'm wondering how I might let duplicity to directly store volumes to S3 on IA classes.

Thus I'm wondering if support for new S3 storage classes will be planned for future duplicity versions. Also -- if it's at all possible -- is there any kind of quick hacks I can do to enable such support on my own machine? (I can re-build my version from source, for sure)

Thanks a lot!

- John