Re: [Duplicity-talk] Support for AWS S3 "Infrequent Access" Storage Opti

From: John
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Support for AWS S3 "Infrequent Access" Storage Option
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 12:16:19 -0400

Thanks Edgar! The new value turned out to be STANDARD_IA as documented in AWS [1].

I have made a small patch for duplicity commandline to accept the new storage class: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mnjul/duplicity/s3-infreq-access/revision/1131 and I'd like to contribute back into duplicity if that's at all possible.

As such, could anyone point me to guidelines/rules for contributing back to the official repository?
I'm looking for project-specific rules like:
1. If I should file a bug first and link my branch/commit message to that bug, and/or
2. If I should just propose a merge through launchpad, and if so, who shall I ask for review? Is there a predefined set of review types?

Much appreciated!
- John

[1] http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/API/RESTObjectPUT.html

On 03.10.2015 10:34, Min-Zhong "John" Lu / 呂敏中 wrote:
> Hi Duplicity folks,
>
> Amazon recently announced a new S3 storage class, Infrequent Access: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/aws-storage-update-new-lower-cost-s3-storage-option-glacier-price-reduction/ . Its storage price is lower than Reduced Redundancy but has a higher per-access price tag.
>
> I have enjoyed duplicity's support on storing volumes to S3 directly on Reduced Redundancy class ( --s3-use-rrs option). And for my own use cases, I believe IA is a more cost-effective option for me, so I'm wondering how I might let duplicity to directly store volumes to S3 on IA classes.
>
> Thus I'm wondering if support for new S3 storage classes will be planned for future duplicity versions. Also -- if it's at all possible -- is there any kind of quick hacks I can do to enable such support on my own machine? (I can re-build my version from source, for sure)

i guess that they introduced a new storage class value. see how it is done for rrs
 http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~duplicity-team/duplicity/0.7-series/view/head:/duplicity/backends/_boto_single.py#L222

..ede/duply.net