[Duplicity-talk] Something went wrong. My files might be orphaned.

From: Duncan Betts
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Something went wrong. My files might be orphaned.
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2016 19:08:26 +0000

I'm using file:/// jsyk it's not a missing slash...
----

Am I missing an irreplaceable manifest file? What can I do if so?

I'm trying to restore a backup that was created on another machine that
was running Ubuntu with the latest Deja Dup. The files are saved on an
ext3 partition of an external drive that I've plugged into another
machine running Ubuntu 14.04 - the one I'm writing this email from.

There are >700GB worth of files.
"names of backup files.txt" is a list of the filenames and sizes.
They were backed up >90 days ago.

I'm unable to restore my backup using Deja Dup, it gives the following
error message:

Restore Failed

Failed with an unknown error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1494, in <module>
with_tempdir(main)
File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1488, in with_tempdir
fn()
File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1337, in main
do_backup(action)
File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1370, in do_backup
globals.archive_dir).set_values()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line
697, in set_values
self.get_backup_chains(partials + backend_filename_list)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line
819, in get_backup_chains
map(add_to_sets, filename_list)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line
809, in add_to_sets
if set.add_filename(filename):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line
96, in add_filename
self.set_manifest(filename)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line
127, in set_manifest
remote_filename)
AssertionError: ('duplicity-full.20150922T100133Z.manifest',
'duplicity-full.20150922T100133Z.manifest.gpg')

I found that others had solved this problem by moving the files named by
the AssertionError at the end of that output to another location and
then requesting a Restore inside Deja Dup again. I've tried that and get:

Restore Failed

No backup to restore

Attached is an "extract" from the output of list-current-files in
list-currentfiles.txt - after line 40 there are an additional ~20000
lines listing all the files in the archives, I hope this is indication
that my backup is intact.

I've also attached status.txt, which contains the output of
collection-status.

The archives are located at on my drive at
/media/asus/67da8fd5-517f-467d-92cf-7a0dfe0dec7b/

I have multiples of the space required to extract the full contents at
/media/asus/labal/

I am unaware of any files being lost or damaged.
I have the correct passphrase.

I have tried the following commands to restore the data:

duplicity --gio file:///media/asus/67da8fd5-517f-467d-92cf-7a0dfe0dec7b/
/media/asus/labal/backup

I've saved much of the output of this to "partial output.txt". I
couldn't scroll up far enough and wasn't sure how to output the console
to a text file since I needed to enter my passphrase. I'll find out how
to do that if it would be useful to provide the rest of that output.

I tried that last command without -gio too.

I don't know if I have a missing manifest, //I shouldn't//

I've been trying to access these files for a couple of weeks, I used to
post regularly to forums, I try not to ask for others help unless I'm
really in a pickle!

I've tried to google about restore orphaned files using duplicity but
not had any luck.

If I am missing a manifest file, is my only course of action to follow
this? https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/DejaDup/Help/Restore/WorstCase (namely
the Restoring by Hand section).
If so, my two unanswered questions about it are how do I use gpg
--multifile to extract to another drive (though that's beyond the remit
of this mailing list, I can find that info elsewhere), and how would I
use rdiff. That's not why I posted, I'm hoping to solve this with the
right duplicity command.

Any help greatly appreciated!