Re: [Duplicity-talk] After full backup to S3, can I move older files to

From: Mikko Ohtamaa
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] After full backup to S3, can I move older files to Glacier?
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 02:34:53 +0200

Hi Fabian,

thanks for the link. After reading the article, I think that Glacier is a trap only if you intend to restore more than 5% of the archive.
For me, the most likely scenario is that I will restore the latest version of the backup, which should work without using Glacier (thanks to the options in ede's reply).
In the unlikely case that I need to restore an older backup, I will find the backup without accessing Glacier (using the manifest and signature files), and I only need to download the specific archive files from Glacier. If I have 20 full backups, I can restore one full backup without touching the 5% limit.

So it seems Glacier is a good option to me, or am I missing something?

Sounds like it works for your use case :)

Cheers,
Mikko

Best regards
Fabian