Re: [Duplicity-talk] Merge daily backups?

From: covici
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Merge daily backups?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 07:01:11 -0400

edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 18.07.2016 08:17, Greg Bell via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> > Hi Duplicity,
> >
> > My use-case is similar to this thread:
> > http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-talk/2016-06/msg00020.html
> >
> > But my backups are over the internet to a remote host.  So my full backup
> > will take weeks.
> >
> > And I want to do daily incrementals.
> >
> > According to the above thread, that'd be a bad idea.  Ghozlane recommended
> > the remove-older-than and remove-all-inc-of-but-n-full options.
> >
> > Does the remove-all-inc-of-but-n-full merge the incrementals into one?
> >
> > Ideally I'd like to have my daily backups result in just a few incremental
> > sets (varying between 1 and n depending on how often I merge).  The idea of
> > thousands of incremental sets, reliant on each other for the backup's
> > integrity, is scary.
> >
> > Am I off in the weeds here?
> >

> nope, long chains are risky! unfortunately does duplicity not sport a merge
> feature, which would be kind of traffic intensive anyways, as all volumes
> have to be downloaded, processed and uploaded to the backend again.
>
> what duplicity users usually do is to keep an eye on chain length and decide
> a new chain interval that fit's their purpose and force full backups then. as
> this sometimes takes long to process/upload the usual workaround is to backup
> to a local file:// target and sync this folder to a backend of choice w/ an
> appropriate client.
>
> if you are feeling adventurous, you may copy the full backup (the file names
> are quite intuitive) to a new folder and run your new incremental against
> that. that's a hack, known to work.
>
> remember - backup is about data safety. run a verify from time to time.

I have a couple of questions about this.  My last full backup took 55
hours, if I run a verify won't it try to restore every file and compare
with the local copy -- at least that is what the manual says?  Also, if
I try your trick of moving the full backup to another folder, how do I
tell duplicity to use that folder and how do I then delete the old
incremental backups?

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici