[Duplicity-talk] Questions regarding implementation

From: Robert Hickman
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Questions regarding implementation
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 17:43:26 +0100

Hi, I'm considering solutions for backing up my web server to S3. This
tool looks promising but I have some questions.

According to the website duplicity only backs up files which have
changed after it's first run. How does the program detect changes and
what local storage overhead is associated? It will be running on a VPS
with very little free storage.

Secondly how is data transfer on the S3 backed implemented?  If I am
backing up a sizable volume of data and the connection is lost will it
resume or re-upload everything? In the first case can a partial upload
still be used to recover the data that was uploaded?

How, if at all, is the rsync algorithm used with S3? As far as I know
the service does not allow partial updates of objects.

When downloading, is it required to download everything to recover a
single file, or can I pull only what I need? Partial downloads are
essential for my use case.