Re: [Duplicity-talk] Errors during test phase of installation.....

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Errors during test phase of installation.....
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 10:08:28 -0600

I'll let Scott answer for El Capitan, but for Sierra, here's the reproduction.

On MacOS Sierra:

address@hidden:~$ mkdir -p foo/bar
address@hidden:~$ rm -r foo
address@hidden:~$ mkdir -p foo/bar
address@hidden:~$ chmod 0000 foo/bar
address@hidden:~$ rm -r foo
rm: foo/bar: Permission denied
rm: foo: Directory not empty
address@hidden:~$ rm -rf foo
rm: foo/bar: Permission denied
rm: foo: Directory not empty

On Linux:

address@hidden:~$ mkdir -p foo/bar
address@hidden:~$ rm -r foo
address@hidden:~$ mkdir -p foo/bar
address@hidden:~$ chmod 0000 foo/bar
address@hidden:~$ rm -r foo
rm: descend into write-protected directory 'foo/bar'? y
rm: remove write-protected directory 'foo/bar'? y
address@hidden:~$ rm -rf foo

It's a fairly major difference if you expect 'rm -rf' to remove everything you own.  This happens in two tests in testing/functional/test_selection.py, TestLockedFoldersNoError, lines 982 and 999, at the statements 986 and 1005, thus the check for platform before those tests.

...Ken

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 7:28 AM, edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk <address@hidden> wrote:
On 04.02.2017 00:23, Scott Hannahs via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> The other big error was that the un-tar of the test files would set file permissions and owners so that the test user could not delete them.   I set a note that the testing phase has to run as root.  It shouldn’t but that seems to be an issue.  If the no-owner no-group flags were set on the untar command for the test directories it might work.  But that may mess up some of the tests.

Scott,

can you explain this a little bit more detailed? do you mean that untar-ing the duplicity tarball creates files/folders with improper permissions?

what do those improper persmissions/owner values look like?

..ede/duply.net