[Duplicity-talk] How to use duplicity for local backup

From: MRob
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] How to use duplicity for local backup
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 17:50:31 +0000

Hello, I want to ask opinion about backup tactic please.

I found a backup system that using only rsync to a local server. A few scripts run on the server that create tree of historical directrories that are filled with hard links to the main rsync target. I never saw this but my understand of the benefit:
* saving space for historical backups because they only use inodes
* simple scheme to use rsync and ln
* But am I correct, to understand if a file *change* then the historical data is lost so its a shortcoming of the scheme.

Is this scheme popular? Is it useful in comparison to local-rsync variation of duplicity? For example, lower CPU needed because not creating archive files and encrypting them. Can duplicity have gpg turn off when it is not necessary? I prefer duplicity to replace the scheme but have limited storage and limited CPU cycles.

Could you guide to help make duplicity a comparable option in that context? Thank you.