Re: [Duplicity-talk] Dropping Python 2 support

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Dropping Python 2 support
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 12:38:58 +0200

On 08.06.2020 10:07, Aaron via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Shall we move to 0.9 and drop Python 2 support now? In the first instance I
> would just suggest changing the readme, tests etc to remove Python 2 and then
> we can gradually remove Python 2 code (and all the compatibility junk we had
> to add for the dual-version support) during the 0.9 series.

is there any urgent need to remove the compatibility code? does it prohibit
further development or make it specifically more difficult?

my impression is that 0.8 just got kinda stable, so i'd rather have it
stabilized some more before branching a new major version that all development
efforts go into.

also, while understanding that python2 is eol, cutting of all those on old
machines unwilling/able to update to python3 will surely be needed at some
point, but how about giving some more time, let's say end of this year.
announcing the intend to switch long beforehand in the changelog would be nice
too!

..ede/duply.net