Re: [Duplicity-talk] Dropping Python 2 support

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Dropping Python 2 support
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 22:44:14 +0200

hey Aaron,

On 08.06.2020 22:04, Aaron Whitehouse wrote:
> Thanks Ede, Kenneth,
>
> On 2020-06-08 11:38, edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>> is there any urgent need to remove the compatibility code?
>
> Nope.
>
>> does it
>> prohibit further development or make it specifically more difficult?
>
> Yes. As one specific example, our CI tests for Python 2.7 currently fail:
> https://gitlab.com/duplicity/duplicity/-/pipelines/153729163
> The cause appears to be to do with the future compatibility imports. Somebody
> needs to do the work to get that test job green.

not necessarily. if we know we plan to remove python2 in the future and
generally duplicity is working this effort would be wasted. not an elegant
solution but hey, worx ;)

> As another example, in our testing we update pip before we pull in our
> requirements. We do that because libraries we depend on have started dropping
> Python 2 support and the new pip will only upgrade you to the latest version
> that has Python 2 support instead of the latest version. That is great, but
> means we have increasing divergence between our dependencies on Python 2 and
> Python 3 (and potentially unfixed issues in the Python 2 dependencies). From
> memory some dependencies are different packages between the two Python
> versions.

good point. as soon as we run into a python3 only dependency you guys may be
forced to switch (or write exhaustive compat glue code, but who wants to do
that).

> Thirdly, some areas of Python 2 are just not as good, for example Unicode
> handling. We have custom code, e.g.:
> https://gitlab.com/duplicity/duplicity/-/blob/master/duplicity/util.py
> that uses the Python 3 version in Python 3, but falls back to an encoding
> conversion that has gaps.

same as above. not elegant, but worked in the past. so no urgency because of
that.

> So yes, there is a cost to maintaining both. My question is therefore whether
> there is enough need to make that worthwhile. We also have the Snap versions,
> that let you run code from a modern, predictable and tested environment on
> old platforms (a huge benefit with the variety of dependencies we have).

just know your maintaining it. does that run on any old distro? is there a mini
howto somewhere?

..ede/duply.net

ps. :) https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-06-06