Re: [Duplicity-talk] decryption failure in duplicity replicate

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] decryption failure in duplicity replicate
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 18:30:38 +0200

On 24.08.2021 17:55, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
>     >I'm thinking we should add it back in again, but instead of testing it
> by decrypting a file, we should just hash the original and store it in the
> cache for later comparison.  We could use a strong hash like sha512 and
> strong permissions on the file.
>
>     does feel quirky. we should never do anything with user secrets!
>
>     how about an encrypted but small file, specific to the full which must be
> decryptable before doing incrementals? obviously it must never contain the
> same value to protect encryption. or reuse the full's manifest and keep it
> encrypted locally too, to check encryption against.
>

> Still would have to have a cleartext available for comparison and that would
> weaken the encryption.

do we? wouldn't gpg decrypting it without complaining be enough?

> I like the hash approach as it's nonreversible. It's no weaker than the
> /etc/passwd file, so should be acceptable.

only as strong as the hash and hashes tend to collide at some point. so why
start there?

also - we are asking the wrong question. for something working for keys (assume
multiple or passphrase of key changed inbetween) _and_ symmetric encryption
we don't wanna know
 "Is the passphrase still the same?"
but instead
 "Can we still decrypt with the settings given?" and as it is possible to
switch/add keys between backups, we would actually wanna know if we can still
decrypt _all_ manifests (backups) of the current chain.

if you think about it, it get's quite complex. so maybe we should leave it
alone and treat it as a user error which it definitely is! if not i feel that
decrypting all manifests or some small file per backup before incrementing
would be the way to go.

just my 2cents :).. ede/duply.net