Re: [Duplicity-talk] How to set network priority

From: Tapio Sokura
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] How to set network priority
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:53:50 +0300

Hello,

If you want both a) to utilize all the bandwidth you have available and b) to not let the backup hog all bandwidth if other machines want it too, the place you need to do it is in a device that sees all the traffic in/out of your network. If the home network/internet router you have can't do it, you need another box. Any purely host-based QoS solution doesn't know what other hosts in the network are doing so you end up not using the total bandwidth efficiently.

My experience with setting different kind of QoS priority bit values in ~home gear have not been too good. The problem is at least two-fold, you need the host with higher or lower priority traffic to mark the packets, and you need the network router to prioritize based on that. The network router also needs to know what's the actual usable capacity of the upstream link.

Most success I've had with routers where I can enter actualy bandwidth numbers and divide traffic into priority classes based on what machines/ports they come/go. For example Linux has had these features in the kernel for 20 years, but it's a completely different thing which home router manufacturers actually expose you useful access to these features. Some just do something to put the QoS label on the marketing material without it actually being useful.

  Tapio