Re: [Duplicity-talk] How to set network priority

From: Andy Hairston
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] How to set network priority
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:38:51 -0400

edgar . soldin: "supposing you filled in ip/mac and used ports and assigned priorities..."

Yep. Did it. It doesn't work. Even Asus tech support can't figure out why. Could be a dud router, could just be that this model's QoS is nonfunctional.

Tapio Sokura: "Most success I've had with routers where I can enter actualy bandwidth numbers and divide traffic into priority classes based on what machines/ports they come/go."

This one is supposed to be able to do that, but (as stated above) it simply has no effect. Almost like the settings are there, but they don't control anything...

Tapio Sokura: "Some just do something to put the QoS label on the marketing material without it actually being useful."

That seems to be the case here.

Sounds like the general consensus is that I need to replace my router if I'm going to have this capability. While clearly not what I was hoping for, it's good information regardless. Thank you all.

Special thanks to Kenneth Loafman for maintaining the project. Duplicity gets used in a lot of systems, including Ubuntu's default backup tool, and I'm sure you don't get enough credit for this important tool. Thank you.