[Duplicity-talk] Multilevel backup

From: Håkan T Johansson
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Multilevel backup
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 20:39:18 +0100

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to do multilevel backup with duplicity?

(In order to avoid the long backup chains, without having to frequent full new backups.)

If not, I suppose what would be needed would be an option to base some incremental backups on not the latest incremental but an earlier one (or the full backup).

What I'm contemplating is to e.g. let the first backup every month be incremental based on the previous month's first backup. And the same for weeks and days, with the first within each category either based on the previous such, or the latest of any category higher, if that is later.

Together with e.g. remove-older-than 14D, this could give a chain-tree like this (each backup based on the previous line, unless there is an arrow):

full
monthly
monthly
monthly