Re: [Duplicity-talk] sigtar file: AccessDenied error using S3 Glacier af

From: Bernhard Patsch
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] sigtar file: AccessDenied error using S3 Glacier after upgrade to 0.8.23
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 06:30:06 +0200

Thanks for your valuable input, Ede.
I'll give ot a try on the weekend.

edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk <duplicity-talk@nongnu.org> schrieb am Mo., 18. Juli 2022, 13:50:
hey Bernhard,

can't try it now.

the man page though states
https://duplicity.us/vers8/duplicity.1.html
"
--s3-use-glacier
Store volumes using Glacier Flexible Storage when uploading to Amazon S3. This storage class has a lower cost of storage but a higher per-request cost along with delays of up to 12 hours from the time of retrieval request. This storage cost is calculated against a 90-day storage minimum. According to Amazon this storage is ideal for data archiving and long-term backup offering 99.999999999% durability. To restore a backup you will have to manually migrate all data stored on AWS Glacier back to Standard S3 and wait for AWS to complete the migration.

NOTE: Duplicity will store the manifest.gpg files from full and incremental backups on AWS S3 standard storage to allow quick retrieval for later incremental backups, all other data is stored in S3 Glacier.
"
the statement suggests that this should work. a quick check in https://gitlab.com/duplicity/duplicity/-/blob/main/duplicity/backends/_boto_single.py#L244 shows that the old boto backend did the same (only exclude manifests).

did you try to use an empty backup target, create a full and some incrementals? if it does indeed not excluding signatures surely is an option, but needs to be documented.

sunny regards ..ede/duply.net