Re: [Duplicity-talk] reduce size of cache

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] reduce size of cache
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 12:08:23 +0200

On 28.07.2022 10:48, Hamish Moffatt via Duplicity-talk wrote:
I have full and incremental backups of a large amount of data going back 4
years, for which the duplicity cache is consuming 139Gb(!) on one machine alone.

Is there a current and supported way to remove old signatures from the cache
such that they can be restored in the future if required? I don't mind how
manual this process is.

I realize this has been asked in the past and the previous reluctant
recommendation was to use cleanup --extra-clean, but that option was removed in
2020.

If so, what is the process for removing the old signatures, and what is the
process for getting them back from remote if required?

hey Hamish,

as `--extra-clean` tended to break backups it was no safe option.

if you don't mind manual intervention i'd suggest changing the target(-folder)
by interval, say every year or so. regular full backups are recommended anyway
to minimize chain corruption, so that seems like a feasible workaround.

after switching the target you can delete the previous archive-dir, as it is
only needed for incrementals or restore and will be recreated if needed. using
option `-name` might ease to find the correct archive-dir per target(-folder).

good luck.. ede