Re: [Duplicity-talk] reduce size of cache

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] reduce size of cache
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:07:02 -0500

A hint here - if you use the --name option on all backups and name them asĀ @ede suggested, the cache will be easier to maintain.

...Thanks,
...Ken

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 5:10 AM edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk <duplicity-talk@nongnu.org> wrote:
On 28.07.2022 10:48, Hamish Moffatt via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> I have full and incremental backups of a large amount of data going back 4 years, for which the duplicity cache is consuming 139Gb(!) on one machine alone.
>
> Is there a current and supported way to remove old signatures from the cache such that they can be restored in the future if required? I don't mind how manual this process is.
>
> I realize this has been asked in the past and the previous reluctant recommendation was to use cleanup --extra-clean, but that option was removed in 2020.
>
> If so, what is the process for removing the old signatures, and what is the process for getting them back from remote if required?

hey Hamish,

as `--extra-clean` tended to break backups it was no safe option.

if you don't mind manual intervention i'd suggest changing the target(-folder) by interval, say every year or so. regular full backups are recommended anyway to minimize chain corruption, so that seems like a feasible workaround.

after switching the target you can delete the previous archive-dir, as it is only needed for incrementals or restore and will be recreated if needed. using option `-name` might ease to find the correct archive-dir per target(-folder).

good luck.. ede