eev

[eev] Debian package: first real announcement

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: [eev] Debian package: first real announcement
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 02:39:11 -0300

Hello list, after a long time...

I just updated the Debian package for eev - see:

  http://angg.twu.net/debian/README.html
  http://angg.twu.net/debian/

Its dependencies have been reduced almost to a minimum - just emacs
and xterm - and now the recommended way to interact with external
programs with CLIs is by using eepitch (which has been rewritten):

  http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eepitch.el.html
  http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eepitch.readme.html

Note that the "eepitch way" does not require any setup at all.

Remember that `M-x eev', `M-x eelatex', and friends did require
"prepared shells" and a directory for temporary scripts, and eechannel
required Expect, xterm, and several subtle details... The right thing
to do would be to have eepitch-based scripts to guide the user through
the installation and testing of all that, but that will have to be
left to the future.

Some functions that I considered too ugly and messy have been
rewritten, and the files with their new definitions,

  http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eepitch.el.html
  http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eev-template.el.html

are now loaded by

  http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eev-all.el.html

AFTER the other files, and so some old definitions get overridden by
the newer ones. This may produce some bugs... =\

I would like to know of any problems that may arise - I will try to
hang out at the #eev channel at Freenode as often as possible in the
next few days, and I should have enough spare time for reading and
writing long e-mails over the next two weeks (we're in a sort of
mid-term holidays here)...

  Cheers! 8-)
    Eduardo Ochs
    address@hidden