eev

Re: the language problem

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: the language problem
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 01:24:11 -0300

On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 at 21:19, Quiliro's lists <kiliro@riseup.net> wrote:

> Have you heard of Claude Piron?  He proposes solving the language
> problem (understanding each other) in a more economic, rational and just
> manner than is done currently.
> https://yewtu.be/watch?v=_YHALnLV9XU
>
> Even more so than Claude Piron, Lera Boroditsky made a very interesting
> talk about the impact of language and the influence communication has on
> the social environment.
> https://yewtu.be/watch?v=RKK7wGAYP6k
>
> My point is: if we use our own languages (instead of English or Latin at
> the times of their hegemony), our own values will be elevated.
> Otherwise, the values of the culture in the language we adopt will
> prevail.  Making more works and communicating more on languages that
> allow us to have power over our
> own circumstances; it enhances our agency.  If we do not have a common
> language, the best option is an empowering language (i.e. not English
> for non-english countries).
>
> --
> Saluton.
> Quiliro Ordóñez

Hi Quiliro,

can you give more context?

One of my intents with eev is to let people play with other computer
languages more easily - see:

  (find-eev-quick-intro "6. Controlling shell-like programs")
  http://angg.twu.net/emacsconf2021.html

and to let them take "executable logs" of what they do in a format
that can be shared with other people, and that many people find
readable... Esperanto is readable for few people, and people have very
short attention spans nowadays... even among the people who read
Esperanto quite well most of them can read English much faster than
Esperanto.

Several years ago I wrote some political zines in Portuguese - here
are links to two of them -

  http://angg.twu.net/quadradinho/quadradinho-2020.pdf
  http://angg.twu.net/LATEX/falta-misandria-a5.pdf

but I only wrote them in Portuguese because most of the people who I
wanted to reach at the time 1) read Portuguese much better than
English, 2) were people that I would meet mostly in The Blue Room, and
3) wouldn't read more than a paragraph on their cell phones, or on
their computers at home... so I printed copies of these zines, stapled
them myself, and gave copies of them to friends for free...

...but nowadays on everything that is related to Free Software I
prefer to use English, and practically all my attempts to participate
in FS communities in which the main language was Portuguese were very
frustrating.

  So...
    Cheers =/,
      E.