eev

Re: A debug mode for find-here-links

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: A debug mode for find-here-links
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 22:12:28 +0200

On Tue 28 Jun 2022 at 15:54, Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 at 15:32, Tomas Hlavaty <tom@logand.com> wrote:
> a «foo» is an "anchor", a (to "foo")
> is a link to an anchor, and something like
>
>   # «.first-test» (to "first-test")
>   # «first-test» (to ".first-test")
>
> is an "index/section pair"...
>
> Are you familiar with the sections 8 to 8.5 in the main tutorial?
>
>   (find-eev-quick-intro "8. Anchors")
>   http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-eev-quick-intro.html#8

Ah, I forgot that part as I do not use it.

Do you maintain the table of contents manually?

Do you always have one to one relationship between the anchor with and
without dot?

When programming, I jump between definitions using M-. and back with
M-,.  It seems that that way could feel more natural to me.

> On examples: I tried ask Robert Weiner for help with examples, but he
> wasn't interested in helping me with the examples that I was
> interested in. See this message and its follow-ups:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2022-06/msg00752.html
>
> Then I prepared this,
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2022-06/msg00801.html
>
> that are "hacking notes" that are probably very hard to read...

>From the brief look at hyperbole, I must admit that the dispatch is
complex and the configuration looks painful.  Moreover, I prefer eev
style buttons (i.e. no buttons and syntax at all, just elisp sexp
without any complexity or magic).  For url style hyperlinks, I prefer
ffap style jumping, except ffap is also painful to customize and
attempts to do other things beside jumping.  It would be much better, if
it used the *-functions style configuration like

   (rg-emacs "[-]functions")
   (grep "grep -r -nH --color '[-]functions' ~/mr/emacs")

as discussed in:

   id:87mtguhta2.fsf@logand.com
   (notmuch-search "pluggable-or")

Why are you trying to combine hyperbole with eev?
What are you trying to achieve?