Re: [eLyXer-users] Math display in browsers other than FireFox

From: elyxer-users
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Math display in browsers other than FireFox
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 14:28:32 +0800

Hi Alex,

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 6:17 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:

> First problem: limit alignment. Could you please try with the enclosed
> CSS file? A few instructions in case you have never used a custom CSS:
> just place the enclosed lyx.css in the same directory as your test
> document and run
>  $ elyxer.py --css lyx.css <your test doc.lyx> <output.html>
> The resulting page should use this lyx.css instead of the default one.
> You will know it does because the limits are displayed on a reddish
> background. It seems to work on Firefox, let us hope it is so on
> Safari and Chrome; if so I will add it to the next version.

Yes the limits are aligned correctly with the new lyx.css file, on
both Safari and Chrome. However, there is another problem when I test
the test/math-1-6-2.lyx, please see the safari.png.

> Second, Unicode. This one is harder since you need a Unicode font to
> render it well:
>  http://unicode.org/help/display_problems.html
> There is also an alternative solution: add a new runtime option to
> make a conversion with as many characters as possible so that e.g. the
> mathematical spaces that are shown as little squares get converted to
> regular spaces. I don't know what solution you prefer. The first one
> is more work while the second one will always be more limited. Just
> let me know!

I tried to use Arial Unicode MS with Chrome, however, the spaces are
still displayed as boxes. In Firefox, however, Vendana or Times can
display them well.

I don't know whether this information is useful for you,
For the list of spaces: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_space#Table_of_spaces
My Chrome can not display:
U+1680  &#5760;         Ogham Space Mark
U+202F  &#8239;         Narrow No-Break Space
U+205F  &#8287;         Medium Mathematical Space
U+2060  &#8288;         Word Joiner
All other spaces are displayed well.

> As to the third problem, CSS2 support: are you using IE 6 or 7?
> Apparently IE 8 adds support for it:
>  http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/
> If you could try it and report how it goes it might help other people
> with the same problem.

Oh, sorry it was the outdated IE6.