Re: [eLyXer-users] Excluding the build directory from the tarball?

From: Sven Hoexter
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Excluding the build directory from the tarball?
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 08:53:15 +0100

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 08:18:54AM +0100, Alex Fernandez wrote:

Hi Alex,

> Is everything working fine now wrt the build directory?

Works nice and straight forward now. Thanks.

> Just out of
> curiosity, how long does it take you to generate the Debian package? I
> would be glad to help reduce it to the max, I'm a big fan of
> automation! :D My own eLyXer packages take about a minute with _no_
> manual actions whatsoever, apart from entering the signature for the
> packages: the version is generated, packaged and uploaded to the
> servers with the create-version script.

With all the helper tools (mainly git-buildpackage) it's relatively easy
though not fully automated.

a) Download the new source and verify it. gpg --verify elyer-0.x.tar.gz.asc
b) Import the new upstream source.
   git-import-orig elyxer-0.x.tar.gz
   git commit --tags
c) emacs debian/changelog and add some notes about the new release etc.
   If needed commit changes like manpage updates etc.
d) Build the source package from git
   git-buildpackage --git-pristine-tar -us -uc -rfakeroot -S -d
e) Build the source package in pbuilder
   sudo pbuilder elyxer_0.x.dsc
f) Check the build package: lintian -iIv *.changes, dpkg --contents *.deb
   maybe debdiff against prior packages, install the package, remove the
   package, upgrade from prior version etc. You'd might guess it that's
   the most time consuming step in the process.
-> Fix any problems and repeat.
g) Sign and upload the build (debsign *.changes, dput ftp-master *.changes)
h) debcommit -a -r to commit the release to the repo.

There is definetly space for improvements (better usage of debuild und
integration with pbuilder). The 'time consuming' part is still the testing.
All in all you can do it in about 20min.

> If there is anything else I can do, just let me know.

Currently everything is fine from my perspective.

Cheers,
Sven
--
If God passed a mic to me to speak