Re: [eLyXer-users] Additional LaTeX symbols

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Additional LaTeX symbols
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 00:51:09 +0100

Hi Jens,

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Jens Nöckel <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi there - happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you too!

> After finding some missing LaTeX symbols in elyxer's output, I went through a
> large list of math symbols and found quite a lot of other exotic commands
> that should be added for completeness. I consulted Mathematica and the symbol
> tables provided by various LaTeX packages, and compared to what is already
> included in elyxer. Finally, I ended up with the following translation table,
> which I think could be added to the "commands" dictionary of the
> FormulaConfig class in the conf/config.py file. I did several regular
> expression manipulations on the table in xemacs, and I hope there are no
> duplicates of things that already existed in config.py

That is great! Just a minor point: please note that elyxer.py (as
distributed in the nongnu package) is compiled from a number of Python
source files, among them conf/config.py which contains these classes;
but this is in turn created from conf/base.cfg which is a text file
that resembles a Windows properties file, in a very simple format:
\command:symbol

> Because of the special characters and since I don't know if zip files will go
> through this email, I've put the table up on my web site as a HTML file. You
> can copy the source of the body directly into the elyxer python code:
> http://uoregon.edu/~noeckel/LyX/elyxer/sy10.html

It is an excellent work, indeed. I have already converted it to my own
format (with vim this time ;) and imported them. There are indeed some
duplicates (e.g. I thought I already had the \bowtie), but the great
majority are new.

There are also a couple of symbols that appear to be wrong. Could you
tell me if my inferences about them are correct? The first
\ntrianglelefteq I think that should be \trianglelefteq; the second
\succsim should be \succnsim. I am attaching my base.cfg so that you
can doublecheck it all.

> By the way, I noticed an extra comma at the end ofseveral of elyxer's
> dictionaries. Is that empty entry intentional?

Nope, just that the script that converts the text file into
conf/config.py was already working and I was too lazy to remove it.
Python ignores that last empty entry.

> Hope this works,

Thanks! It was a wonderful Christmas present.

Alex.