Re: Lack of tooling slowing down contributions

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: Lack of tooling slowing down contributions
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 11:06:39 +1200

On 2019-06-17 07:20, Juri Linkov wrote:
It would also be nice that tooling within Emacs helps contributors get
their contributions right. For example, I would expect M-q to add the
double-spacing at the end of sentences.

If you have set sentence-end-double-space to t, then text like

foo bar.
etc etc.

Will be refilled by M-q with double spaces. But if you write

foo bar. etc etc.

I.e, using single spacing, then M-q won't change that, because Emacs
doesn't recognize that as being two separate sentences.

This feature is sorely missed: every time I copy text from web browsers
to Emacs I have to manually insert additional space at the end of every
copied sentence before typing M-q.

You can't do this automatically, can you?  One of the reasons that the
double-spaced sentence convention is useful in the first place is that
it unambiguously differentiates sentence endings from other uses of that
punctuation character which do *not* indicate the end of a sentence.

E.g. for example, should not become "E.g.  for example".

P. G. Wodehouse should not end up as "P.  G.  Wodehouse".

Prof. Moriarty should not end up as "Prof.  Moriarty"

When the same punctuation character is used for multiple things, I don't
imagine there's any way for Emacs to do this accurately, short of natural-
language parsing (which sounds like a giant can of worms) ?

-Phil