Re: Lack of tooling slowing down contributions

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Lack of tooling slowing down contributions
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 00:08:09 +0300

>>> I.e, using single spacing, then M-q won't change that, because Emacs
>>> doesn't recognize that as being two separate sentences.
>>
>> This feature is sorely missed: every time I copy text from web browsers
>> to Emacs I have to manually insert additional space at the end of every
>> copied sentence before typing M-q.
>
> What would you want it to do?
> Does setting sentence-end-double-space to nil solve it?
> If not, what's the difference?

I tried to set sentence-end-double-space to nil, but reverted back to t
because paragraphs with sentences separated by double space are easier to read
when editing text using a monospaced font in Emacs (there is no such problem
with proportional fonts in web browsers).

> Would you want to recognize single-space end of sentence but change
> them to a double space?

Yes, maybe a separate command is needed, e.g. M-x sentence-use-double-space
that would recognize single-space that doesn't separate an abbreviation
and insert additional space.