Re: Prickliness of the "invalid byte code" stuff

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Prickliness of the "invalid byte code" stuff
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 12:04:23 -0400

  > > session. My thought was that if we  could detect this specific case,
  > > then we could as well have emacs load that file, rather than having the
  > > user reload it by hand.

  > Yes, that usually works, but unless we reorganize the current code, we
  > end up having to solve a slightly different problem similar to:

  >     (setq sm-foo (indirect-function '<pkg>-<fun>))
  >     (load "<pkg>")
  >     (funcall sm-foo <args>)

That is true -- but since indirect-function is called in only around
40 places, problems of this kind will be far less frequent than the
problems we have now.

And maybe we could fix some of those 40 places to avoid the problems,
in their own way.

We're talking about problems that result from an anomalous situation
in which we don't do the really right thing.  In such a case, a change
that reduces the frequency of problems can be a good thing, even if it
doesn'tmake things 100% correct.

The main criterion is that the change should never cause problems
in any non-anomalous situation.

--
Dr Richard Stallman