Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 17:47:05 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I agree with Andreas: we aren't.  It's just sheer luck if this happens
> (probably because the time window for mixing output is small).

No, we are on all Unix-like OS-es I'm familiar with, and certainly on
GNU/Linux: If you output data that's less than PIPE_BUF in length, a
write(2) call will never interleave the data.

If you're using internal buffering of some kind, then you can get all
kinds of funny interleaving, but this is the reason that the output from
Makefiles never step on each others' lines, no matter how many gccs you
run in parallel.