Re: regexp linting run in Emacs tree

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: regexp linting run in Emacs tree
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 13:33:10 +0200

5 aug. 2019 kl. 00.57 skrev Paul Eggert <address@hidden>:

>> relint blindly assumes default values of global variables. What about adding
>> a `delete-dups' to make it shut up?
>
> That would slow down and complicate the source a bit. Maybe just add the
> glitch to the delinter's exception list, if any.

There isn't one and I had hoped not having to add such a mechanism. Partly
because it is a cop-out, and partly because it, too, would litter the source
with alien comments like

  ;; relint: skip-set-duplicate

the kind of which, in my experience, tend to linger far beyond their usefulness
and mystify innocent readers of the code.
(Sticking the suppressions in a separate .relint-exceptions file is not a
better solution.)

What about the fairly lightweight attached patch? It's about as cheap as can
be, while keeping it readable.

> Oh, thanks, I see the point now. I installed the attached.

Good, thank you. I especially like how you removed the "FIXME: replace it with
something shorter" comment, since you did, in effect, do just that!