Re: Question about display engine

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Question about display engine
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 11:31:09 +0200

On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 10:59:47AM +0200, martin rudalics wrote:
I only want a uniform behavior between gui and tui. Because bigger
changes I have understand that are close to impossible.

Such uniform behavior should be a major goal.

Reproduce in TUI the gui behavior as is now by default but:

1) With a not-extend-by-default policy

I'm not sure what you mean here: not-extend-by-default in TUI only or
not-extend-by-default everywhere?

not-extend-by-default everywhere except in some conditions. Opposite to
the actual policy which is to extend always.

The behavior must be the same in both cases from the user point of
view. That's my main concern on this; I will actually be fine enough
with any decision that unifies behaviors.

3) Add an extra face to extend (like in my previous code) that needs to
be merged with the last face in the line conditionally and can be used
in case the user wants extend but removing the underline and keeping
the background color (for example).

I suppose this extra face would be suppressed for the region or
for tooltips.

Yes, the merge step needs to be suppressed in this and many other
scenarios.

martin