Re: emacs-repository-version not defined when cloned with mercurial

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-repository-version not defined when cloned with mercurial
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 12:54:10 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 05:17:15 -0400
> Cc: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
>
> > Command. Not sure what to do with emacs-repository-get-version though.
> > Maybe I should define a new variable
> >
> >  emacs-use-hg
> >
> > Which per default is nil.
>
> I think catching an error signaled by `git` and then trying `hg` instead
> is a better plan.

Why not simply ask users who clone into a Mercurial repository to hack
up a 'git' shell script that will do what Emacs expects using
Mercurial?  I mean, this is an unusual situation which we don't have
to support too actively.  The hash is only important when reporting
bugs.  I find the idea of trying yet another shell command, which
might not exist exactly like the first one, just to support such
unusual use cases, a bit gross for my liking.