Re: emacs-repository-version not defined when cloned with mercurial

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-repository-version not defined when cloned with mercurial
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:44:05 +0300

> From: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 12:09:55 +0200
>
>    > Why not simply ask users who clone into a Mercurial repository to hack
>    > up a 'git' shell script that will do what Emacs expects using
>    > Mercurial?  I mean, this is an unusual situation which we don't have
>    > to support too actively.  The hash is only important when reporting
>    > bugs.
>
> I am not sure I understand your proposal.

The prop[osal is to have a script called 'git' which would call hg to
return the Git hash of a repository cloned with hg.  Then Emacs will
get what it wants what it calls "git rev-parse".

> Mercurial can without problems translate between both hashes.
>
> However suppose I run the compiled version for a while (and suppose I
> even have deleted the cloned mercurial repository) and want to
> report a bug, then I don't know for which mercurial I compiled that
> version, and I cannot calculate the corresponding git hash.

AFAIR, the hash is computed when Emacs is built, and is recorded in
the built Emacs.  It cannot be calculated after the build.